Yes, I’m talking about online ‘stalking’. Not the offline, creepy, bad-people kind… but the online peeking into the lives of others and living vicariously through them.
Possibly to you.
And there is some good to come from the queasy feeling it leaves you with.
It is your ideal marketing asset.
Tapping into people and their deep-seated desire to know your dramas, your pains, and your successes.
Giving people a good story to read, watch, and share is your goal in marketing.
Nothing more, nothing less.
A good one…
…about you, your company, your product or service.
NOTHING trumps a good story.
Carnegie Mellon is a humungo research firm that just released results from a major study. Story telling increased the money spent by 248%.
One sold with facts.
One sold with a story.
Story won by dollars spent by 248%.
You need to find your own personal story that you can use and reuse in your marketing. It’s there… you just may need to dig it out. I was never a natural story teller. It took a lot of work to start telling good engaging stories.
And it has become my favorite way to promote my clients products and my own.
I use stories and I teach others how to use stories in marketing.
I taught classes about it and sell a home study program around it (http://www.storysellingtips.com)
Love it and am still amazed how rare it is to see an entrepreneur using stories in their marketing.
The best way to find stories to use in your marketing:
1) Take yourself, a note pad, and a pen to a place far away from your typical routine. A place that makes you feel good and creative. Coffee shops, cool little cafes, places that spark you the right way.
2) Pen to paper… start writing little one sentence summaries of things in your past that come to mind (ex: fishing with grandfather, putting fishhook through sisters ear by accident, seeing snowmobile accident when I was 10 yrs old and saw my uncle covered in blood, the birth of my twin daughters, etc – a few that just came to mind).
3) Fill as many in as you can. If stuck, take photos from your past with you and start writing as you flip through photos.
4) Voila… your little list you just created here is pure marketing gold.
5) Every single time you need an article, a blog post, a sales campaign or theme… pull out your sheet – find one you can make tie into your goal – get writing. I take the one liner and make a paragraph off the top of my head to expand on the one line. Then I expand on it and try to relive the story. Sometimes it helps to record yourself going through your story (which can then be transcribed or used as material for the writing).
6) Take your story – relive it, keep it condensed as much as possible and interesting, tie it into your promotion or action you wan them to take, then Ask for the action you want.
7) Wash, rinse, repeat. Always repurpose your stories and articles that get you sales and comments. They will continue to work for many years to come.
Try this method… you will love the results.
Have a great day.
PS: If you are in need or interest of an additional income stream online that promotes your business, this is for you http://www.cashflowsurges.com. It is a system I found and love – and highly recommend as a training platform for lead generation and conversion online. Comes with blogging platform, training videos, bonus reports and an affiliate arrangement that can put cash in your pocket.